Saturday, September 17, 2016

How do I get the most out of my students?

How do I get the most out of my students? This is a question that has been in my mind since reading the first few chapters of "To Teach: The Journey in Comics" By William Ayers. Three important ideas really stood out to me that can help me achieve my goal.

The first is remembering what age group I'm teaching. This is important because some ideas and concepts may be to advanced for them. Make sure you are being patient, that the material you are delivering to your students is on a level that they can comprehend.

The second, is to find what makes each student tick. By this is I mean what wakes then up in the morning. In the book "To Teach: The Journey in Comics" By William Ayers an example was used how William couldn't get one of his students to full engage in class. One day after class he saw the boy skateboarding. There was the boy's motivation William could use connect with the student to get him to be more active in class.

Finally understand that the student have things that happen in their lives outside of the classroom. Depending on how serious the situation is, it can become very distracting for the student where they have lost all focus and concentration. don't be to quick to write that student off. These are just children and do not have the life experiences of an adult to adequately handle and compartmentalize different situations when they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment