Monday, September 26, 2016

Field Blog #1

Visit to Noble Elementary


On 22nd of Sept I had the pleasure of visiting Noble Elementary School that morning. First thing I noticed about the students during my visit was their excitement and enthusiasm for being in school and wanting to learn. The students were excited to tell me about the things they are learning in class and the instruments that they are playing. This was a big surprise with many children playing instruments and seeing the joy I their faces about playing music.


During my visit I sat in two classrooms. The first was an art class and the second was a Spanish class.
The art class and its teacher really stood out to me that day. The first thing I noticed about the art room was that the classroom was decorated to inspire artistic creativity. Bright colors, shapes, patterns everywhere. The teacher is Ms. Wachhaus she was great and her students really love her. Some of her techniques really stood out to me as I observed her in the classroom. Ms. Wachhaus was very thorough and patient in explain to the children the assignment for the day. She also reviewed important information from previous assignments that were pertinent to the current assignment that they would be working on. Once she was finish explaining, there was a question and answer period with the students  about the assignment instructions. An expectation level was set and confirmed by the students. He connection with her students was great and they really respond to her.


I feel that setting the expectation level in the beginning is very important. Children need and like boundaries. This helps keep order in the classroom and it also creates a standard that the students have to adhere to, to be successful in class. Being approachable and showing concern for the student helps bonding with the student. This may help you as a teacher be able to push and challenge the student to be their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment